pgp2 support for gnupg

Werner Koch wk at isil.d.shuttle.de
Tue Jun 9 11:32:41 CEST 1998

Hi,

I decided to start a new project to support an upcoming feature of
gnupg.  This is a program and some shared objects to emulate all pgp2
features with gnupg.  These software will be provided under a XFree
type license and so it is possible to use patented algorithms - the
user has to check whether he is allowed to use this software and what
kind of royalities he has to pay (same as pgp2).  This new software is
not part of gnupg nor the GNU system but a kludge to allow pgp2 users
to switch to free software.

The clue to support pgp is that gnupg will soon be able to load new
cipher algorithms at runtime. It is up to the user to decide which
algorithms are useful.

The support of the -kvv stuff will be removed from gnupg and moved to
a wrapper program which emulates the strange pgp option syntax.

I'll encourage everyone to use the new features but due to the large
pgp2 infrastructure I'm now convinced that a migration path is a
needed.

To enable the use of RSA in the U.S. someone should write a RSAREF
version of the RSA extension; but let's wait until I'm ready with
the extension scheme.

Because nobody has yet been found to write the random number stuff for
non Freenix systems I'll change my release schedule and will step to
0.3 soon.