[gnupg-0.2.17] SunOS 4.1.4 + gcc 2.7.2.2: a few portability glitches

Charles Levert charles at comm.polymtl.ca
Wed May 6 16:59:07 CEST 1998

Hi.

This mail contains descriptions of problems, but (intentionaly) no
fixes.  FYI, I am a Canadian citizen.  (I am not sure exactly what
this implies in term of what I can contribute, but it's better for me
to state it before you decide to read the rest.)

I tried to configure and make on

	SunOS 4.1.4
	gcc 2.7.2.2

with

	LINGUAS='fr en' sh ./configure --verbose \
		--with-included-zlib \
		--with-included-gettext

Here are excerpts from the make output:

	ttyio.c:96: warning: implicit declaration of function `strerror'
	ttyio.c:96: warning: format argument is not a pointer (arg 2)
	mpicoder.c:310: warning: implicit declaration of function `memmove'
	collect2: ld returned 2 exit status
	ld: Undefined symbol
	   _memmove
	   _strerror

SunOS doesn't have strerror.  Don't look in /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xos.h
for inspiration, because it does contain a (non GPL) macro for it.

SunOS also doesn't have memmove, but it does have bcopy.

	tiger.c: In function `transform':
	tiger.c:709: warning: left shift count >= width of type
	tiger.c:716: warning: left shift count >= width of type

BIG_ENDIAN_HOST is defined on Sun and also byte == unsigned char and
u64 == unsigned long long.  But ((byte) << n), where n >= 8, is zero.
The problem is that byte is not typecast to u64 before it is shifted.
(The solution to this problem is intentionaly left out. :-)

Charles

PS:  I am not on the mailing list; I just followed the bug report
instructions in the README file and sent this here.  So please use Cc
if necessary.)