Fails on make check

Fabio Coatti cova at felix.unife.it
Tue Nov 10 18:04:05 CET 1998

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 09:53:59AM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> Fabio Coatti <cova at felix.unife.it> writes:
>
> > But if I set the LANG environment variable to "en", instead of "it", all
> > goes fine.
> >
> > Is there a problem with tests or is a problem of gpg itself? If it's related
> > only to check section, LANG should be unset by make check, I think.
>
> Please can someone debug this - I assume that a informational message
> is printed to stdout and not filtered out by run-gpg.

Simply the test scripts uses the "expect" keyword related with the default
gpg messages (english),

(for example, genkey1024.test:
--------------------------------------
expect {
    -exact "Please select what kind of key you want:\r
   (1) DSA and ElGamal (default)\r
   (2) ElGamal (sign and encrypt)\r
   (4) DSA (sign only)\r
   (5) ElGamal in a v3 packet\r
Your selection? "  { send -- "1\r" }
    timeout { exit 1 } }
--------------------------------------

So it's unable to handle messages in other
languages. Instead of modify test scripts, I suggest to put a couple of
lines like

LANG =
LC_ALL =
LANGUAGE =

in Makefile to avoid gpg to use locale languages.
I'm not an expert of localization, so I'm not sure of which env
variables have to be unset, but on my system all tests goes just fine with
LANG =
in checks/Makefile

I don't know how to handle automake/conf, so I can't create a patch file for
this :-(

--
Fabio Coatti                    http://felix.unife.it/~cova
Ferrara Linux Users Group	http://flug.unife.it