Code contributions

brian moore bem at cmc.net
Tue Nov 10 20:19:08 CET 1998

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 10:35:53PM -0500, Kirk Fort wrote:
> I find it a bit disheartening that hackers have to go through so many
> legal loopholes to contribute to open source software.  I was not aware so
> much was involved.  It seems to be turning away people from contributing.
> This undermines the basis on which the free software community was
> founded.

I think the biggest problem is for those of us in the US, though.
Signing such a thing could be incriminatory.

> If this is not feasable, will the FSF accept GPG DSA signed electronic
> documents once gpg has stablised and become 'released`?  This should be
> more secure than signing a paper document, if there is some verification
> so a web a trust can be built arround the DSA key.

The digital signatures should be more and more accepted with PGP
offering a real alternative to NAI's license terms.  Once RSA keys die
for good or in two years when the patent won't matter, it should be even
more useful.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach