Using GPG in the US

Caskey L. Dickson caskey at technocage.com
Mon Nov 23 15:26:14 CET 1998

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Caskey L. Dickson wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Brian, and everyone else who responded to my questions. (I guess
> > that would be you, Casey :) The replies were very helpful. One further
> > question, though. What are the RSA and IDEA plugins, why can't I legally
> > use them in the US, and is there some legal way to get that
> > functionality with GPG in the US?
>
> I can't speak about IDEA, but RSA is patented in the US.  That means that
> to use it you must have a license from the patent holders.  Without that
[snip]

In re-reading that post, I realized that my comment re: the PTO may have
implied that I believed patents to be a solely US concoction, that is not
the case.  Sorry for the confusion.

C=)

    "Premature optimization is the root of all evil" -Donald Knuth
Caskey <caskey*technocage.com>       ///                pager.818.698.2306
TechnoCage Inc.                     ///|               gpg: aiiieeeeeee!!!
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood
 and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for
     the endless immensity of the sea. -- Antoine de Saint Exupery