GPG and PGP5

brian moore bem at cmc.net
Sat Oct 17 21:41:58 CEST 1998

Duh... figured that out (I hate pgp5, I hate pgp5... just when I though
pgp2's command line was ugly pgp5 made it more confusing..)

The problem is REALLY this:
[thorin:~] 8:33:52pm 153 % gpg --list-packets testc-pgp5.asc
gpg (GNUPG) 0.4.1; Copyright (C) 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

:signature packet: algo 17, keyid DB98F728A52DD52A
        version 3, created 908680015, md5len 5, sigclass 00
        digest algo 2, begin of digest 86 29
        data: [160 bits]
        data: [157 bits]
[thorin:~] 8:33:55pm 154 % gpg --list-packets testc.asc
gpg (GNUPG) 0.4.1; Copyright (C) 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

:signature packet: algo 17, keyid 377FCE2488322B51
        version 4, created 908681632, md5len 0, sigclass 00
        digest algo 2, begin of digest 34 14
        hashed subpacket 2 of length 5 (signature creation time)
        subpacket 16 of length 9 (issuer key ID)
        data: [160 bits]
        data: [158 bits]

Which is documented in the OpenPGP file:

     * PGP 5.x does not accept V4 signatures for anything other than
       key material.

(This is a detached signature.... so that's why it's mad.)

    * (5.5.2) states that an implementaion MUST NOT create a v3 key
      with an algorithm other than RSA.  GNUPG has an option to
      create an ElGamal key in a v3 packet; the properties of such
      a key are as good as a v4 key.  RFC1991 does not specifiy how
      to create fingerprints for algorithms other than RSA and so it
      is okay to choose a special format for ElGamal.

What's that option?  I guessed --rfc1991, but that's not it.

    * A special format of partial packet length exists for v3 packets
      which can be considered to be in compliance with RFC1991;  this
      format is only created if a special option is active.

Or is it this one.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach