Keyservers

Caskey L. Dickson caskey at technocage.com
Thu Oct 22 17:05:24 CEST 1998

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Fabio Coatti wrote:

> Is there any keyserver (host) for gpg? Or, better, a simple implementation
> of a keyserver software? I'm thinking about a tiny keyserver for some
> friends, made with a simple web page and/or a mail script using procmail,
> but if someone has already done this....

The keyserver that PGP uses is publicly available for your download.  In
fact, I snagged a copy of it the other day with the intent of making a
patch for gnupg so you can fetch keys from the key server.  Unfortunately
the Horowitz Key Protocol is not documented anywhere that I could find.

The key server is basically a wrapper around a (really big) key ring that
it automatically adds and extracts to.

My company would be willing to dedicate a computer to be the official
gnupg key server (perhaps with chaining to existing pgp key servers for
unknown keys and a more ideal distributed key management infrastructure).

Thoughts?  Volunteers?

C=)

    Heuer's Law: Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off.
Caskey <caskey*technocage.com>       ///                pager.818.698.2306
TechnoCage Inc.                     ///|               gpg: aiiieeeeeee!!!