UI

Werner Koch wk at isil.d.shuttle.de
Fri Oct 23 20:33:42 CEST 1998

"Juergen A. Erhard" <jae at laden.ilk.de> writes:

>     no explanation on why a simple
>
>     gpg
>
>     `hangs'.  It seems it wants some input (^D terminates).  Why does
>     it do that?  Why not just give some short help (less than a

Because it is a Unix program and all Unix program have this good
behaviour.

>   + Couldn't some of the commands/options be a little shorter?  Why is
>     --list-ownertrust not simply --list-trust?

Because you should never need it expect in shell scripts.

>   + Where's the argument parsing coming from?[1]  Standard GNU
>     getopt-long does not need the full option, just enough so it is
>     uniquely identified.  Whereas the current parser needs the *full*
>     option (--list-secret-keys is nice and long, --list-sec would be

>From WkLib and it is really nice to combine the help with the
commands;  there are a lot of tools where the help and the implemneted
commands do not match.  I should give it some work.

> [1] arparse.c mentions WkLib... I didn't check whether WkLib is
> mentioned anywhere else in the sources, but I'm sure I haven't seen it
> before.  What *Wk*Lib stands for is anyone's guess ;-)

It is a very old function collection which enabled me to write and
port programs to DOS, Windoze, Unix, NT, VMS.