GPG/PGP5 encryption

brian moore bem at cmc.net
Fri Oct 23 20:39:56 CEST 1998

On Fri, Oct 23, 1998 at 06:04:10PM -0700, brian moore wrote:
> Has anyone looked at this code, or shall I have another fun weekend? :)
>
> [Though this is pushing me closer towards exporting laws, I may have to
> cheat to do it...  Canadians are useful 'munitions runners'... :)]

And while I'm at it: with an encrypted message sent to a pile of people,
I see:

| :unknown packet: type 10, length 3
| dump: 50 47 50
| :pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid A8343B581D191A13
|         data: [2046 bits]
|         data: [2048 bits]
| gpg: public key decryption failed: Secret key not available
| :pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid C12FC700272B34B6
|         data: [1021 bits]
|         data: [1024 bits]
|
| You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
| user: "brian moore <bem at cmc.net>"
| (1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 272B34B6, created 1998-10-17)
|
| :pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid C7671024039B8B84
|         data: [2046 bits]
|         data: [2047 bits]
| gpg: public key decryption failed: Secret key not available
| :pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid 2B8E550B0E582695
|         data: [2048 bits]
|         data: [2047 bits]
| gpg: public key decryption failed: Secret key not available
| :pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid BC163260F2892482
|         data: [2047 bits]
|         data: [2044 bits]
| gpg: public key decryption failed: Secret key not available
| :pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid C85F8559E293A603
|         data: [2046 bits]
| (etc)
| gpg: public key decryption failed: Secret key not available
| :encrypted data packet:
|         length: 162
| gpg: decryption failed: Secret key not available

My guess from the hip is that the failure is being saved on top of the
valid key it got, and when it gets to the end of all the people on the
list it forgot that it has a valid key already.

If no one else looks at that, I'll look at it as well.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach