Questions about GNUPG 0.4.2

Edward S. Marshall emarshal at logic.net
Thu Oct 29 09:53:11 CET 1998

(This was sent to me in private mail, but I thought someone else might
find value in it too, so I'm posting it to the list too. I'd be happy to
hear any suggestions you might have about this method.)

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, someone wrote:
> I've seen on mailing list of g10(gpg) that You configured Your mail reader
> and gpg corret. I wonder if there's any interface that You use combined
> with Your mail reader. And other Question I got is, how would I configure
> gpg with my PINE.

I'm using it with Pine (version 3.96, haven't bothered upgrading to 4.0
yet), and it works just fine with the display-filters and sending-filters
options in Pine's configuration section (from the main menu, type 's' for
setup, then 'c' for config).

First, create three shell scripts somewhere (like in ~/bin), as below
(there's a good reason for making them uniquely named scripts; Pine bases
the name you see as a filter on the filename, and making them individual
scripts is the only way to give pine back the status information from
GPG, for gpgcheck):

gpgcheck:
- ----begin----
#!/bin/sh
exec gpg 2> $1
- ----end------

gpgsign:
- ----begin----
#!/bin/sh
exec gpg --clearsign
- ----end------

gpgencrypt:
- ----begin----
#!/bin/sh
exec gpg --armor --sign --encrypt
- ----end------

Then, in Pine's configuration screen, add a display-filter of:

LEADING("-----BEGIN PGP ")_ ~/bin/gpgcheck _RESULTFILE_

And, add sending-filters of:

~/bin/gpgsign
~/bin/gpgencrypt

MAKE SURE that the paths you use are full paths; Pine won't expand a name
like "gpg", only something like "~/bin/gpg", "/usr/bin/gpg", or similar.

At this point, when you read a PGP-signed or PGP-encrypted message, GPG
will automatically try to decrypt the message (if necessary) and validate
the signature.

Also, when you try to -send- a message, you'll be asked:

Send message (unfiltered)?
              Y [Yes]     ^P Prev Filter
^C Cancel     N No        ^N Next Filter

Type CTRL-N and ^P to cycle through the two filters. "gpgsign" will just
clearsign your message, and "gpgencrypt" will sign it with your private
key, and encrypt it with someone's public key (both will prompt you for
your keyring password, and the latter will prompt you for a remote user).

At this point, managing and sending encrypted mail is easy. :-)

- --
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal at logic.net> />   Who would have though that we  -o)
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/        // would be freed from the Gates of  /\\
Linux Weenie, Open-Source Advocate    </    hell by a penguin named "Tux"? _\_v

   Linux labyrinth 2.1.125 #9 SMP Sat Oct 17 14:46:24 CDT 1998 i586 unknown
       9:05am up 11 days, 19:08, 3 users, load average: 0.07, 0.31, 0.18