dates and their representation

Michael Sobolev mss at despair.transas.com
Wed Sep 23 02:15:32 CEST 1998

On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 01:56:00PM -0700, Caskey L. Dickson wrote:
> I would disagree with your statement that mixing gmt and local time will
> cause confusion.  What will cause confusion is mixing of semantics.  When
> you are using a date to represent when something occured in the context of
> the person using the software, you ought to use the local time.  If you
> are using a date that is to identify something external, such as when a
> key was created, you should use UTC.

OK.  Could you please provide me with more examples of such "external" events?
At the moment, I can only see only one such an event: key creation; all other
events are always considered in context of the person using the software.  As
result, the key creation time should always be displayed using gmtime (3)
function, while all other times -- using localtime (3) or gmtime (3) according
to the specified option.

--
Mike