dates and their representation

Caskey L. Dickson caskey at technocage.com
Fri Sep 25 04:02:19 CEST 1998

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 sen_ml at eccosys.com wrote:

> At around Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:36:53 +0200,
>  Werner Koch <wk at isil.d.shuttle.de> may have mentioned:

> > > this is the reason why I usually write the month with its
> > > (abbreviated) name instead of its number: this avois the confusion if
> > > 01-07 is in the middle of winter or in the middle of summer (7th
> > > Januar and 1st July are quite distictive).
> >
> > I was wrong:  There is no ambiguity when using "yyyy-mm-dd"  this
> > format is not good to read but very easy to understand my machines.
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> it didn't take me long to get used to it -- i write almost all of my
> dates in that format now :-)

I believe the yyyy-mm-dd format is also known as 'international' date
format.  For my purposes it has the very nice effect of a text sort
producing date sorted material.

I don't know of any regional convention that uses the yyyy-dd-mm format
with the '-' separator, I believe that it is customary in the vast
majority of locales to use '/' or '.'.  Perhaps someone more travelled can
provide some perspective.

Does anyone know of an iso standard that attempts to enumerate these?  All
Microsoft and many other applications treat mm/dd/yyyy as being the 'US'
format however I always switch it to the above format for consistency.

C=)

       There is hardly a thing in the world that some man can not
             make a little worse and sell a little cheaper.
Caskey <caskey*technocage.com>       ///                pager.818.698.2306
TechnoCage Inc.                     ///|               gpg: 1024D/7BBB1485