GPG vs PGP

James H. Cloos Jr. cloos at jhcloos.com
Fri Apr 2 18:52:15 CEST 1999

Today I imported and tried to encrypt to a public key which has this
basic structure:

:public key packet:
        version 4, algo 17, created 923095501, expires 0
        pkey[0]: [1024 bits]
        pkey[1]: [160 bits]
        pkey[2]: [1021 bits]
        pkey[3]: [1021 bits]
:user id packet: "NAME1 <EMAIL1>"
:signature packet: algo 17, keyid FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
        version 4, created 923095501, md5len 0, sigclass 10
        digest algo 2, begin of digest 83 48
        hashed subpkt 2 len 5 (sig created 1999-04-02)
        hashed subpkt 11 len 4 (pref-sym-algos: 3 2 1)
        subpkt 16 len 9 (issuer key ID FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
        data: [160 bits]
        data: [159 bits]
:user id packet: "NAME2 <EMAIL2>"
:signature packet: algo 17, keyid FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
        version 4, created 923095501, md5len 0, sigclass 10
        digest algo 2, begin of digest 38 82
        hashed subpkt 2 len 5 (sig created 1999-04-02)
        hashed subpkt 11 len 4 (pref-sym-algos: 3 2 1)
        subpkt 16 len 9 (issuer key ID FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
        data: [157 bits]
        data: [159 bits]
:user id packet: "NAME3 <EMAIL3>"
:signature packet: algo 17, keyid FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
        version 4, created 923095501, md5len 0, sigclass 10
        digest algo 2, begin of digest 00 ce
        hashed subpkt 2 len 5 (sig created 1999-04-02)
        hashed subpkt 11 len 4 (pref-sym-algos: 3 2 1)
        subpkt 16 len 9 (issuer key ID FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
        data: [157 bits]
        data: [160 bits]
:user id packet: "Thawte Freemail Member <EMAIL3>"
:signature packet: algo 1, keyid 9335363C3CE4352F
        version 3, created 923095501, md5len 5, sigclass 10
        digest algo 1, begin of digest 13 60
        data: [1024 bits]
:public sub key packet:
        version 4, algo 16, created 923095501, expires 0
        pkey[0]: [4096 bits]
        pkey[1]: [2 bits]
        pkey[2]: [4094 bits]
:signature packet: algo 17, keyid FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
        version 4, created 923095501, md5len 0, sigclass 18
        digest algo 2, begin of digest 27 89
        hashed subpkt 2 len 5 (sig created 1999-04-02)
        subpkt 16 len 9 (issuer key ID FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
        data: [160 bits]
        data: [160 bits]

(I've replaced the owner's keyid with FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and all the
dates with today to occlude the key.  This key, as it was sent to me,
is not in the servers, else I would include a pointer to it.  I do not
know that I have the owner's permission to distribute it.)

After importing it, the 4th user id packet and the subsequent packets,
esp including the algo 16 public sub key packet, are lost.  As such,
it is imposible to encrypt to this key.  (NB loading the rsa module or
not makes no difference.)

Is the thawte rsa sig the problem?  Or perhaps that the NAME3 uid
packet and the Thawte Freemail Member uid packet each have the same
email address?

Hmmm.  Time passes.

I just found the original version of the key in the servers.  By
importing that first, and then importing the version I was sent, all
of the packets except the Thawte Freemail Member uid packet show up in
my ring.

I appears, then, that if there is a second uid packet with a given
address but a different name then that and all subsequent packets are
lost during an import....  [SIGH]

Werner: if you need any further info to fix this bug, please ask.

- -JimC
- --
James H. Cloos, Jr.  <http://www.jhcloos.com/cloos/public_key> 1024D/ED7DAEA6
<cloos at jhcloos.com>     E9E9 F828 61A4 6EA9 0F2B  63E7 997A 9F17 ED7D AEA6