Where did Trust_ go? [Re: undefined symbol: __register_frame_info]

Horacio homega at vlc.servicom.es
Tue Apr 6 14:28:46 CEST 1999

> > 	I recently upgraded from GnuPG 0.9.3-1 to 0.9.4-1, upgrading also the
> > packages gpg-idea_1.deb and gpg-rsa_1.deb to gpg-idea_2.deb and gpg-rsa_2.deb
> > from the debian distribution.  Everything seemed to be working fine with
> > 0.9.3, but now, if I try to sign a mail I get the following message:
> >
> > gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
> > gpg: /usr/lib/gnupg/idea: error loading extension: /usr/lib/gnupg/idea:
> > undefined symbol: __register_frame_info
> > gpg: /usr/lib/gnupg/rsa: error loading extension: /usr/lib/gnupg/rsa:
> > undefined symbol: __register_frame_info
>
> The two packages where probably compiled with different debian
> versions of egcs or gcc. Try downloading the debian sources for both
> idea, rsa and gnupg and recompile everything with the same compiler
> (either gcc 2.7.2.3 or egcs). You might also want to send a bug report
> to debian.

I kept GnuPG 0.9.4-1 and downgraded the idea and rsa modules to
gpg-idea|rsa1, and that worked fine.  The right solution though, as someone
pointed out, is to upgrade libc6.

Now, the problem (no real problem) is that I just upgraded my MUA:
mutt-i 0.93 --> mutt 0.95 and I just realized that when verifying the
signature, the "Trust_" part of it is missing:

gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: Signature made mié 24 mar 1999 19:26:53 CET CET using DSA key ID
3A48C934
gpg: Good signature from "Andr\xe9s Seco Hern\xe1ndez <AndresSH at ctv.es>"
gpg: key DDDC215A: secret key without public key - skipped
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.

also, the fourth line, with regard to key DDDC215A, belongs to a key for
which I actually DO have both the secret and public.

GnuPG *can* see the secret key:

homega:~$ gpg --list-secret-keys Horacio
/home/homega/.pgp/secring.skr
-----------------------------
sec  2048D/DDDC215A 1998-07-20 Horacio Menezo <homega at correo.com>
ssb  8192g/06E9D714 1998-07-20

but it *cannot* see the public key (although it's in ~/.pgp/pubring.pkr):

homega:~$ pgpk -l Horacio
Type Bits KeyID      Created    Expires    Algorithm       Use
sec  2048 0xDDDC215A 1998-07-20 ---------- DSS             Sign & Encrypt
sub  8192 0x06E9D714 1998-07-20 ---------- Diffie-Hellman
uid  Horacio Menezo <homega at correo.com>

if I try to import that key into ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg, I get:

homega:~$ gpg --import miclave
gpg (GnuPG) 0.9.4; Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg:miclave: key DDDC215A: invalid self-signature
gpg:miclave: key DDDC215A: invalid subkey binding
gpg:miclave: key DDDC215A: no valid user ids
gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:           w/o user IDs: 1

but it DOES have a self-signature!

Sorry for the long output, and thank you in advance,

Horacio.