--enable-m-* options

Lachlan O'Dea lodea at vet.com.au
Tue Aug 24 22:30:04 CEST 1999

Hi,

Since gnupg is still beta and I'm not really fussed about speed, I
tried to build it with --enable-m-debug and --enable-m-guard options.

However, I found that gnupg failed to build with these options (actually
it looks like --enable-m-debug was the only problem). I've attached a
simple patch that enabled me to build gnupg with these options.

After I got gpg to build, I got a segmentation fault when trying to
generate a key. I tracked it down to the definition of
m_alloc_secure_clear - it wasn't actually clearing the memory when
M_DEBUG was true. Anyway, in case it's useful, I've attached a patch to
memory.h which fixed this for me.

So now I get as far as generating random bytes. Here I get a whole bunch
of:

gpg in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.

and it ends up dying with:

gpg: fatal: out of secure memory while allocating 256 bytes
secmem usage: 16320/16320 bytes in 64/64 blocks of pool 16320/16384

At which point I decided to give up. Either the --enable-m options
aren't considered that useful, or I'm not using them properly.

--
Lachlan O'Dea <mailto:lodea at vet.com.au>   Computer Associates Pty Ltd
Webmaster                                   Vet - Anti-Virus Software

"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda, Jedi Master