0.9.0 expiration date: does not work

David Hayes david at hayes-family.org
Wed Jan 6 08:45:44 CET 1999

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 11:02:15AM +0000, David Pick wrote:
> If people feel there should be a new option, perhaps what should be
> added is an option to tell gpg to run in a mode where the operations
> that I mentioned that should be allowed should be allowed *if they
> would be allowed on a specific date given in the parameter*. Then
>
> What do other people think of this suggestion? Does it meet the
> perceived needs?

I would find that awkward. Specifying dates is a pain in the butt, and
parsing them with all their international variants isn't easy, either. I
think the best proposal so far is:

NO ERROR AT ALL for:

	decrypting using an expired key.
	verifying a signature of an expired key where the key had
	  not expired at the time the signature was created.

WARNING for:

	verifying a signature when the key had already expired at
	  the time the signature was created.

ERROR (prohibited action) for:

	encrypting to an expired key.
	signing with an expired key.