Canadian crypto law

Edward S. Marshall emarshal at logic.net
Sun Jan 24 12:07:22 CET 1999

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Ed Boraas wrote:
> Does anyone happen to know what canadian crypto law is like, in terms of
> export? I'd really like to contribute to projects like gpg, and possibly
> some of my own, but I'd really prefer not to go to jail for disseminating
> it :)

Canada, when I lived there, had reasonable crypto laws; if you imported it
from the U.S., then U.S. restrictions applied to export. However, if it
was developed in Canada, or imported from somewhere else, export was very
doable. There -might- have been some paperwork to go through, but that was
about it. Check with the OpenBSD folks on this one; they've been
incorporating strong crypto with OpenBSD for a long time, and distribute
it from Canada.

Today, though, it could be an entirely different story, due to the
Wassenaar Arrangement. To my knowledge, the Canadian government hasn't
enacted any new legislation yet, but I can't follow canuck law as closely
as I used to down here in the land of the free (except mathematicians :-).

> Anyone out there with reasonable crypto law knowledge?

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. If you have legal questions,
you should consult with an attorney. Yadda, yadda, yadda...:-)

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal at logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]

   Linux labyrinth 2.2.0-final #1 Sat Jan 23 01:13:17 CST 1999 i586 unknown
        12:00pm up 1 day, 1:36, 4 users, load average: 0.06, 0.04, 0.00