Reason for PDF Format

Jeffrey Thompson jeffrey at thompsonic.com
Fri Jan 29 11:23:16 CET 1999

The whole idea of going to a PDF file is to take advantage of the additional
features that are available through Adobe Acrobat, namely:
   - Improved illustrations
   - Improved type-setting:  stuff that comes out of TeX isn't the best quality

     in my opinon.  It isn't easy to read on-line.  Maybe printed out it's OK,
but
     I want an easy to read online, top quality, book.
   - You get a lot of other additional, instructional features in Adobe Acrobat

     you simply won't get by producing a PDF via sgml translators
    (color illustrations, audio, video, hypertext within the document and
     hypertext links to the Internet).

By producing a PDF by translating from sgml, you simply miss the whole point of
producing a PDF in the first place.

Since the Adobe Acrobat Reader is free, it won't cost the user anything to get
top-quality documentation.

Jeffrey Thompson