bug: gpg --edit [0-9].*

Chip Christian chip at princetontele.com
Tue Jul 20 10:52:35 CEST 1999

I'm running gpg 0.98, and trying to sign someone else's key.  He happened
to have started his userid with the number 1.  gpg won't recognize it:

$ gpg --list-keys
pub  1024D/E0A8BF23 1999-03-16 First Tech <webmaster at 1sttech.com>
sub  2048g/CBC3A8AB 1999-03-16

pub  1024D/F5EA36A3 1999-07-16 1st Tech <webmaster at 1sttech.com>
sub  3072g/48512CD9 1999-07-16

$ gpg --edit '1st Tech <webmaster at 1sttech.com>'
gpg (GnuPG) 0.9.8; Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: 1st Tech <webmaster at 1sttech.com>: user not found

Now I could sign is by dropping the leading digit, but as you can see that
would match the other key listed above.  I can ask him to change his key,
but it would be nice to see this work.