out of memory error during key generation

Werner Koch wk at isil.d.shuttle.de
Thu Jun 17 13:07:08 CEST 1999

Werner Koch <wk at isil.d.shuttle.de> writes:

> > I am getting out of memory errors during key generation.  Below are
> > two transcripts.  The first is with gpg setuid to root.  The second has
>
> Thanks, assigned bug no 20.

Okay, there are 2 problems:

  - fragmentation of the secure memory block.
  - the huge size of context Blowfish needs.

We can address the 2nd point very easy: Use another algorithm to
protect your secret key:

$ gpg --s2k-cipher-algo cast5 --edit mykey

and then use "passwd" to change the passphrase.

Here is how much memory is used by the ciphers:

  3DES       768
  CAST5       80
  Blowfish  4136
  Twofish   4256

This is the memory needed for the key schedule and therefore it is put
into the secure memory block.  In the long run I have to increase the
size of this block.

--
Werner Koch at guug.de           www.gnupg.org           keyid 621CC013