secure delete option? (aka pgp -w)

David Hayes david at hayes-family.org
Fri Jun 25 17:15:54 CEST 1999

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 11:05:26AM -0700, Jason Axley wrote:
> Are there plans to implement the equivalent functionality of the PGP
> secure delete (wipe) option in GPG?  That's the one option that makes me
> keep a copy of PGP around so that I can securely delete files.  Is this on
> the plate to add to gnupg?

It's not necessary. There's a very nice program called Wipe that handles
this. Unlike the Windows world, Unix people know how to use one program
to do one job. There's no particular relationship between secure erasing
and encryption.

david[152]$ wipe -v
wipe version 0.04, 06.08.1998 by Berke Durak <berke at gsu.linux.org.tr>

Based on data from "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State
Memory" by Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz>

--
David Hayes
david at hayes-family.org