secure delete option? (aka pgp -w)

J Horacio MG homega at vlc.servicom.es
Sat Jun 26 02:13:42 CEST 1999

David Hayes dixit:
~> On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 11:05:26AM -0700, Jason Axley wrote:
~> > Are there plans to implement the equivalent functionality of the PGP
~> > secure delete (wipe) option in GPG?  That's the one option that makes me
~> > keep a copy of PGP around so that I can securely delete files.  Is this on
~> > the plate to add to gnupg?
~>
~> It's not necessary. There's a very nice program called Wipe that handles
~> this. Unlike the Windows world, Unix people know how to use one program
~> to do one job. There's no particular relationship between secure erasing
~> and encryption.

Further more, I take it PGP's wipe option is FAR from securely deleting
at all, so you should be better off with other wiping utilities.

Regards
--
Horacio
homega at vlc.servicom.es