U.S. Crypto Laws...

Zack Weinberg zack at rabi.columbia.edu
Thu May 6 20:32:19 CEST 1999

On Thu, 6 May 1999 17:08:51 -0500 (CDT), "Edward S. Marshall" wrote:
>[ http://dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/local/metros/san_francisco/story.html?s
>=n/kpix/sfbay/19990506/19990506101 ]
>
>SF Court Strikes Down Encryption Export Controls
>
>A federal appeals court in San Francisco today struck down U.S. Commerce
>Department controls on the export of software for transmitting computer
>messages in secret codes. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the
>controls on export of encryption software are an unconstitutional limit on
>free speech.
[...]

The referenced Yahoo article seems to have been replaced by a
local-interest bit about a man and a garbage truck.

The court decision may be found at:

http://www.vcilp.org/Fed-Ct/Circuit/9th/opinions/9710055.htm

I Am Not A Lawyer and the precise implications are not clear to me.
It appears that the decision will only affect Mr. Bernstein.  Also,
this is guaranteed to be headed for the US Supreme Court; nothing
changes for at least another year.

zw