Compiling on DEC Alpha

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Nov 12 19:37:07 CET 1999

"Pit ." <pit_37 at hotmail.com> writes:

> do you mean i should disable any CFLAGS? or should i actually set it to
> "..."? ive tried disabling just about everything with configure.

Well I don't know the way to disable optimization for your compiler;
you have to use thjose flags (or try CFLAGS="   ").

> one of the problems i ran into was any time a preprocessor command was
> indented, the compile bombed. ive fixed a lot of things, and now i only get

Ah. oky. You do not have an Standard C compiler.  GnuPG requires a
modern compiler and does not accept old K&R cc with extensions.  The
problem here is that Standard C allows

#if foo
  #include <bar>
#endif

older compiler only accept

#if foo
#  include <bar>
#endif

I won't make any chnages to the code becuase I thing that the modern
form is better readable and we should not stick to ancient syntax
conventions.  A small sed script is your friend here.

Because your compiler has problems anyway, you should install gcc on
the machine.  It does not make sense to use a compiler which would create
faster code on an Alpha but actually can't compile the source ;-)

--
Werner Koch at guug.de           www.gnupg.org           keyid 621CC013