Retrieving a session key

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Nov 12 21:37:20 CET 1999

Bruno Wolff III <bruno at cerberus.csd.uwm.edu> writes:

> Are they any plans to add features to easily allow someone to retreive a
> session key from an encrypted message and allow someone to retrieve an
> encrypted message with that session key?
>
> This would make it easier to comply with court orders to decrypt messages
> without turning over your private key, which would compromise all messages
> using that key.

And that is good reason for me not to do so.  It is easy to modify
GnuPG in this way and some person can do this on order of a court.

However, you need the private key anyway to decrypt the session key,
so why should this make sense at all.  The only way it might be usable
is to store every session key ever used in a somehow protected DB - I
call this key recovery ...

--
Werner Koch at guug.de           www.gnupg.org           keyid 621CC013