FSF's distribution policies was: Drift between libgmp and gpg's version

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Tue Oct 5 08:24:55 CEST 1999

[ g10 CC removed; subject changed to be slightly more on topic ]

On 4 Oct 1999, Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> * Jason Gunthorpe <jgg at ualberta.ca>  on Sun, 03 Oct 1999
>
> [...]
> | Correct me if I'm wrong, but FSF is not the owner of gmp so I think this
> | is a bit of a non issue
>
> FSF owns gmp... but I do not know if they own *your* patches.  That is the
> problem.  RMS will not allow distribution of anything that has not been
> legally signed over to the FSF.

No, the copyright on gmp has been assigned to the FSF. The patches you
mention have not had their copyirhgt assigned to the FSF; but that is
not the reason that have not been incorporated into GMP.

Also, RMS does allow distribution of things that have not been signed
over to the FSF; from memory either shtools or libtools has not been.
Also you may want to see
<http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9909/msg02317.html>
and
<http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9909/msg02312.html>