gnupg-1.0.0 chokes over make

Mumit Khan khan at thor.xraylith.wisc.edu
Thu Sep 30 13:09:24 CEST 1999

varun sharma <varshar at yahoo.com> writes:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to port gnupg on a cygwin-b20.1+NTSP5
> box via ./configure --target=i386-cygwin32
> --disable-nls
>
> However, make fails with the follg..
>
> -------------- start -----------------
>
> blah..
> echo timestamp > g10m.lo
> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
> -I. -I. -I.. -I../include    -g -O2 -Wall -Wcast-align
> -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes  -c mpih-mul1.s
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include -g -O2
> -Wall -Wcast-align -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -c

The problem has to do with case-insensitivity of the file system and
that screws up the auto-detection of the language for gcc. If you look
at the configure steps, you'll notice that these files are linked and
have .S extension (which means assembler that needs to be run through
pre-preprocessor first). However, on win32, gcc sees .s instead and
doesn't run the preprocessor, and you get rubbish error messages.

The trick to add a new rule that pre-processes files with either .s
or .S extension on win32. Or, pass `-x assembler-with-cpp' to gcc
when compiling these .s files.

Regards,
Mumit