Creating a Win32 Library for GPG?

Charles Duffy cduffy at bigfoot.com
Thu Apr 27 06:03:47 CEST 2000

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 12:58:44PM +0200, Oliver Nittka wrote:
> all in all, i would say the "fork and pipe" - approach is a major PITA
> under windoze. i was already looking into pgg by Michael Roth, but
> this one just calls gpg, so it would suffer the same drawbacks.
>
> how would you think about putting all of the "engine" in a libgpg.so /
> gpg.dll which can then be used from other applications (e.g. gpg /
> gpg.exe) which are just a frontend to the crypto-functions.

I've been thinking this over for a while now (and sent a few private
emails here and there)...

Putting the engine in a DLL/shared object isn't all that useful
anyhow, since it can only be linked to GPLed apps. What about creating
a CORBA- (or COM-) callable version?

This would also circumvent the GPL enough to allow use with
proprietary apps such as Netscape Mail and Outlook -- which I, at
least, consider a Good Thing.

I'll probably be starting the CORBA version RSN... comments, anyone?