Creating a Win32 Library for GPG?

Sam Roberts sam at cogent.ca
Thu Apr 27 11:58:50 CEST 2000

I have to apologize, this isn't actually the discussion
I wanted to provoke on gpg-devel, sorry. I was just pointing
out, because it was apropros to the original poster who
wanted to use gpg under windows from his program, that what
constitutes a piece of s/w being integrated with GPL-type
code, and thus subject to the GPL, is a continuum. This
continuum flows from mixing the source code in, compiling
as a library and linking, shared libraries, dynamic
libraries, CORBA/COM in-process, corba/com out-of-process,
remote procedure call, pipe-based co-processing, tcp
based, etc...

The FSF wants an end to "proprietary" s/w (I used the term
"commercial", a follow-up contested that this "proprietary"
!= "commercial", and...), which guides their decision making
on how they structure their licences, and why they recommend
not using the LGPL anymore. It's a strategic thing, and
it's relevant to gpg-devel only in as much as gnupg is GPLed,
and people want to integrate it's capabilities into their
(non-GPL) apps.

Anyhow, sorry for the wasted bandwidth.

--

As far as libraries go, however, gpg's pipe interface is
definitely general purpose, the gpg executable should

Also note that the pipe interface is either not complete,
or painful enough that mutt, at least, grabbed pieces
of the gpg code so that it can directly access some gpg
data structures without using the pipe interface. This code
was *copied*, not linked as it would have been had gpg been
a library. There are some pluses to the pipe interface
and some negatives, and right now there's no choice.

My interest in this is I'm writing a (LGPL) library in C++
to construct, parse, and manipulate RFC822 and MIME messsages,
including (hopefully) multipart/encrypted|signed. I
want to use gnupg, it being the best and most complete tool
around, but I had to port it to my platform-of-choice first.

I'm going to have to build a library that drives it
first, though, a step I wish I could avoid. Maybe I'll just
try and use Privacy Guard Glue for the first shot, even
though it's GPLed, and distribute some parts as a seperate
library. Yuck.

Cheers!
Sam

--