Encryption laws

Rich Pinkall-Pollei whraven at msn.fullfeed.com
Fri Aug 4 11:13:04 CEST 2000

> Some countries have laws against exporting strong cryptos but what
> about sending (or receiving) encrypted emails? Is it illegal (in any
> country) to send emails with a key longer than a certain number of
> bits?

I don't know if it's still the case, but up until recently France
prohibited sending or receiving encrypted mail except under certain
restricted circumstances requiring registration with the government.
While I don't know the exact text of the law, someone from France told
me the law could also be construed as prohibiting digital signatures.

Rich Pinkall-Pollei
---
Cat's motto: No matter what you've done wrong, always
try to make it look like the dog did it.