Alternate egd socket

Alexander Zimmermann Alexander.Zimmermann at fmi.uni-passau.de
Thu Feb 10 14:23:54 CET 2000

Hello,

I'd like to get the entropy from egd within gpg from an alternate socket
path (f.e. /tmp/entropy) on my solaris system, so it's not necessary
that every user starts it's on egd.
Of course I can link $HOME/.gnupg/entropy to /tmp/entropy and this would
work, but it's very annoying to new users of gnupg to first create this
link before starting gnupg.
I've patched the sources to look for an environment variable EGDSOCKET
and connect to it, if it exists. This works, but

1) is this a good approach?
2) is there a better alternative?
3) is it save to only have one egd that all users can use?

Any hints or comments are wellcome.
--
Alexander
Alexander.Zimmermann at FMI.Uni-Passau.De | for PGP public key finger
http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~zimmerma | zimmerma at kirk.fmi.uni-passau.de