Alternate egd socket

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Feb 10 15:28:07 CET 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Alexander Zimmermann wrote:

> Of course I can link $HOME/.gnupg/entropy to /tmp/entropy and this would
> work, but it's very annoying to new users of gnupg to first create this

You can add this to the script which creates a new account and in
addtion run a script for all users to just do that symlink.

> I've patched the sources to look for an environment variable EGDSOCKET
> and connect to it, if it exists. This works, but

Because a user needs a .gnupg directory anyway, a symlink is the
most easiest solution as it adds no extra code to the program.

> 3) is it save to only have one egd that all users can use?

Yes, there is only one /dev/random, so there should only be one EGD.