Comparison of GnuPG & NAI/PGP features.

Simpson, Sam s.simpson at mia.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 11:59:38 CET 2000

Werner,

Thanks for the quick answers.   See points in-text below.

algorithms
> > & better ability to select algorithms, what does this
mean????

> * You have the real source code and everone is able to build
the
>   executable from this source.  I am not sure whether you can
do
>   this with the PGP books and noone can be sure that these
books
>   reflect the actual PGP executables delivered by NAI.

AFAIK the NAI distribution is just a build of the normal files.
You can't do a byte-by-byte comparison of the executable though
because VC++ includes date/time stamps etc.

> * Stores secret keys in a memory area which will not be swapped
>   out to the disk.

A sexy feature, to be sure.  I know the NAI/PGP Windows version
also includes this feature, but I'm not sure about the UNIX
versions...

> * All operations involving confidential material (session keys,
some
>   hashs, secret keys, intermediate results) are althoug done in
this
>   memory area.
> * It can use ElGamal for signing by creating all ElGamal keys
in a
>   secure way.  Uses this algorith even for DSA keys, just in
case.
>   I think PGP now uses the same Lim-Lee algorithm now and I am
not
>   sure whether this is at all an advantage.
> * It never uses any temporary files.
> * Has quite a lot of features you expect from a Unix tool.
>
> > I have constructed a (very) small table to compare the
algorithms
http://www.scramdisk.clara.net/compare.html

> Please get this Skipjack out of the list.  It whish I never
wrote this
> module - it used to be just an experiment.

ok.

> As I only have this 6.5.1 pgp here and it even refuses to
create keys
> with a message saying it can't open the keyrings  (although
> strace show
> that it indeed opens them), I don't know what this SHA-1x is.

This is a "double-width" version of SHA-1, as per Hash Algorithm
ID 4 in [RFC2440].  PGP v5.x allowed the verification of
signatures using this scheme and some CKT versions allow you to
employ this hash as part of a signature.

Regards,

Sam Simpson
Communications Analyst
- -- http://www.scramdisk.clara.net/ for ScramDisk hard-drive
encryption & Delphi Crypto Components.  PGP Keys available at the
same site.