Will DSS keys still be preferred over RSA in a few months?

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Wed Jul 5 11:59:16 CEST 2000

What do people think -- will the current preference for DSS PGP/GnuPG keys
go away when the RSA patent expires?  Werner, you're planning on including
RSA support in standard gpg at that point, right?  Will that include
generating RSA keys?   I'm wondering if I should bother to switch over the
things I publicly sign in the meantime, especially if the pendulum is going
to soon swing back so that RSA keys are preferred.  I suppose there's still
the issue about MD5's potential vulnerability (I'm assuming a pgp2-compatible
key, not RSA+SHA1), although I wonder whether that applies to the way MD5
is used for PGP signatures.

- Dave Dykstra