AES for GnuPG, on Mon Oct 2?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Oct 2 10:48:04 CEST 2000

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 12:49:45PM +0000, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Mark Atwood wrote:

> <snip>
> > What would be cool is if someone has
> > written "AES modules" for all 4 of the finalists,
> <snip>

> It's _five_ finalists (though I agree that MARS will unlikely stand the
> competition and is effectively out of the race). They are (with my
> opinions added in parantheses)

> 1) MARS (too slow, too small security margin)
> 2) RC6  (patented - ugh)
> 3) Twofish (complicated)
> 4) Rijndael (only with increased round count)
> 5) Serpent (will make it :-)

	Serpent apparently is subject to a claim by Hitachi that it holds
a patent over some aspect of it.  Rumor has it that it's out of the race.
That's based on a coderpunks posting which I have not been able to
independently verify.

> Marc

> --
> Marc Mutz <Marc at Mutz.com>        http://marc.mutz.com/Encryption-HOWTO/
> University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

> PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/