AES test module

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Oct 3 18:45:42 CEST 2000

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 09:16:28PM +0200, Matthias Bruestle wrote:
> Mahlzeit

> Werner wrote:
> > Rijndael provides 3 different keylengths but GnuPG will probably
> > only create messages using the 128 bit key;  It is possible to use
> > the other keylengths however but it is not suggested.

> Why? If a quantum computer for cracking is possible and will be
> built, this is only equvalent to 64 bit. Or is it do difficult to
> get another random 128 bit?

	I could drive an intergalactic starship through that "if".

	If a quantum computer is possible...

		=and=

	If it can be build...

		=and=

	If it can process data at the parallel rates...

		=and=

	If it can handle the class of problems to crack this cypher...

		=maybe=

	We'll see something that might have some impact on what we are
all talking about a few decades down the road.

	Quantum computing is STILL all noise and conjecture and FUD.  Nothing
concrete that we can QUANTIFY.  Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't.  It
most certainly will NOT be what anybody expects.  Yes we should pay attention
to developments in that field.  No, we should NOT allow ourselves to be
paralized by vague possiblities and pipe dreams.

	If we develop a time machine (hell, we've seen the speed of light
in a vacume broken in that Xeon vapor experiment) then we have to worry
about all our computing power now AND IN THE FUTURE.  Should we worry
about the prospects?  I don't think so...  I rank the quantum computers
in the same category.  No real prospects for the real forseable future,
if ever...

> Mahlzeit

> endergone Zwiebeltuete

> --
> PGP: SIG:C379A331 ENC:F47FA83D      I LOVE MY PDP-11/34A, M70 and MicroVAXII!
> --
> Sex, Drugs and Linux.

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/