GnuPG 1.0.2b -- transient failure adding subkey

Rich Wales richw at
Wed Sep 6 12:57:11 CEST 2000

I'm using FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE.  I built GnuPG 1.0.2b with the config-
uration option "--with-included-gettext".  I made the executable binary
setuid-root, in order to allow it to use secure memory.

First, the good news.  I was able to update my existing GnuPG key to
remove the expiration date from the main key (while keeping expiration
info on the subkeys).

Also, after creating a new key (with no expiration date), I was able
to add an expiration date to the subkey (while keeping the main key

Now, the bad news.  I tried to add a new subkey to an existing key,
and during the random byte generation stage, the program failed with:

    gpg: fatal: out of secure memory while allocating 4228 bytes
    secmem usage: 11168/12576 bytes in 7/11 blocks of pool 13344/16384

FWIW, I tried repeating the same steps again, but it worked OK the
second time.  I then imported the new key (with its two subkeys, each
one with a different expiration date, but no expiration date on the
main key) into PGP 5.0, and it appears to have survived uncorrupted.

Rich Wales         richw at

More information about the Gnupg-devel mailing list