comments on 1.0.2c snapshot

Tim Mooney mooney at dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Mon Sep 18 13:05:42 CEST 2000

Hi!

I just grabbed 1.0.2c to do some build testing, and noticed a couple build
problems that weren't present in 1.0.2.

So far I've tried building on Tru64 UNIX 5.0a, HP-UX 10.20, and IRIX 6.5.9.
In all three cases, the build will fail in the `cipher' directory for all
of the platforms mentioned above (and probably some others).  The reason
it's failing is that DYNLINK_MOD_CFLAGS doesn't contain any of the necessary
platform-specific flags to create a shared object/library, so the compiler
tries to create an executable.  This fails because of missing symbols.

Previous to Dave Champion's Solaris patch (from Tue, 25 Jul 2000), the
shared objects were actually built on IRIX and Digital/Tru64 UNIX, only
because of the happy coincidence that both gcc and the vendor compilers
both use `-shared' to created a shared "library".  Dave's patch was correct,
but it removed the "assume -shared works" logic in configure.in, so the
happy coincidence is now gone.

Also, I'm not sure why the "produce PIC object" flags are being included
in DYNLINK_MOD_CFLAGS, since that seems to be intended for linking only.

I can submit a patch which should add special-case support for the necessary
shared lib compiler flags for Tru64 UNIX, IRIX, and HP-UX, if there's
interest.  We have Solaris and AIX here too, but I'm not familiar enough
with AIX's weird loader to make sure I get all the details right.  Solaris
would be easy to do, though.

Another build problem relates to the new support for stat64, fopen64, et.
al.  on HP-UX (and I would imagine older Solaris).  configure correctly
detects those symbols in the C library on HP-UX 10.20, but more work is
needed before things like struct stat64 is available.  Without getting
the preprocessing environment right, iobuf.c and possibly other files will
not compile because of missing definitions for stat-related things.

The solution is to steal the "enable largefile support" autoconf macro
from a (very) recent version of GNU tar, or some other package that has
to worry about large files.  Check on alpha.gnu.org for tar-1.13.17 or
so for a recent tar that has the autoconf bits needed.

Let me know if I need to provide more details.  I've subscribed to
gnupg-devel, so a courtesy cc: isn't needed.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney at dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Room 242-J1, IACC Building              (701) 231-8541 (Fax)