Bug: sensitive data written to insecure memory

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 5 17:27:00 CEST 2001

Oleg Smolsky <small at clear.net.nz> writes:

>Actually, it's really easy to lock a set of pages in memory if you are running
>on the NT branch. Here are the user mode functions that are relevant:
>VirtualAlloc() and VirtualFree() VirtualLock() and VirtualUnlock()

No it isn't.  These functions don't do what MS say they do, if anything they'll
make your data more likely to be paged out.  See "Developing Windows NT Device
Drivers: A Programmers Handbook" by Edward Dekker and Joseph Newcomer.  What
you need are the Win2K address windowing extensions (AWE), and some day I'll
actually get around to finishing and posting the code I wrote to use these.

Peter.