bugreport without patches :-(

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Apr 24 17:13:02 CEST 2001

Janusz,

thanks for sending me the keys.

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Janusz A. Urbanowicz wrote:

> I. rev        AB425659 2001-02-05  [No user ID]
>
> 1. This key is present in the both rings - it has all the IDs revoked and
> this should somehow show but not as [No user ID].

I agree that the text is misleading.  The reason not to show the
user ID here is that the user has decided to revoke the user ID and
therefore it should not pop up at all places.  For examples; I don't
like to see my revoked wk at openit.de to show up in key listsings.
OTOH it is important to print something instead of simply supressing
it.

Currently "No user ID" is returned in cases when a primary key can
not be found and "User ID not found" when it is not the primary key.
I tbink it is better to just return one message.  "user id not
found" might also be misleading but given that this one is
translated, I will use it nof for both types.  Hmmm, we need a
better text for the 1.0.6.

> 2. The [No user ID] message is NOT translated (it should like in other cases
> where '[brak identyfikatora u¿ytkownika]' message shows. This is beacuse of

My fault.

> II. sig        8A284C31 1996-04-20  [brak identyfikatora u\xbfytkownika]
> This instance of GPG has correct LANG variable and charset (in options file)
> set but it mangles 8-bit characters in the messages in the output. This is
> because there is no way of checking of the user ID string being

That is a problem but I am reluctant to fix it in 1.0.5.

> Commentary: using error string as User ID of key with no valid user idsm is
> a kludge. Furthermore it is misleading to the user (the error string should
> at least read "No valid user IDs" because for now user can assume that

Okay we can use this in the version after 1.0.5

> sig        8A284C31 1996-04-20  [revoked] User name...

Hmmm, I am not sure whether we should display the name even when we
are listing the key of taht user.