Recipient inconstistence

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Aug 14 13:44:02 CEST 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:19:30 +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick said:

> assuming that I'm not in some way trying to cheat or break protocol. It
> is just as easy for me to encrypt lots of copies, and send them
> individually, as such, the analogue of an email Bcc: line. It should

Sure.

> your reasoning on Alice's part is broken. If Alice does that, then she's
> not acting a good part in the protocol.

It is more a practical problem.  She replies and obviously can't
encrypt for Bob but the MUA may have set Bob into the CC.  It takes
some time to pass all messages then again to Bob.  I have made that
experience several times and therefore I think it might be better for
GnuPG to fail if any recipient is not valid so that it is obvious for
the MUA not to send the message.