Static idea

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Mon Dec 10 20:55:01 CET 2001

Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:

> But please be aware that you are not allowed to redistribute this
> becuase you would violate section 7 of the GPL (section 8 is not an
> option for you).

Not quite correct.  I don't think Ronald already faces an injunction
not to infringe the IDEA patent. ;-)

On the other hand, Ronald might have obtained a license (or a
statement that he doesn't need one) for the IDEA patent which permits
distribution, or those he is distributing to might have a license
to use ideas covered by the patent.  In this case, the provisions
of section 7 of the GPL are not effect because it does not apply to
restrictions imposed by third parties on the receivers.