A curious problem with unsigned ID's

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Feb 21 03:17:10 CET 2001

Hello all,

	I just ran into a most curious problem with gnupg 1.04.  I had
an old keyring with my key which had a couple of uids which were not
signed.  I had imported this into GnuPG some time ago.  On another system,
I had updated those ids by signing them.  When I went to import the new
key (with all ids properly signed) into the keyring on the other system,
it refused.  It complained that the two ids on the key that did not
have signatures were invalid and refused to import the signatures to
make the valid!  Catch-22!

	I tried the --allow-non-selfsigned-uid option but the problem
was not that I was trying to import a key that was not selfsigned, it
was that I was trying to import new signatures to a key with uids
that were not selfsigned.  That optin had no effect.

	My only solution was to move my entire keyring to a backup file,
then import the new public key with all of the signatures and then import
my keyring back over top of that.

	Anyone else run into this or have a more elegant solution (or know
of an option I missed here)?

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/