[fwd] Re: "gpg --status-fd X" does not work for Windows 2000 (from: ryk@dspwiz.com)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Feb 22 10:09:00 CET 2001

> From: "Richard Y. Kim" <ryk at dspwiz.com>

>     tar zxf mingw23-cpd-0.2.4.tar.gz

I am not sure, but you might need to use a newer version, this is
the version I use.

To build it, you need the MingW32/CPD kit, which is available at

  ftp://ftp.guug.de/members/wkoch/cpd/mingw32-cpd-0.3.0.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.guug.de/members/wkoch/cpd/gcc-core-2.95.2.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.guug.de/members/wkoch/cpd/binutils-2.9.1.tar.gz

gcc and binutils are stock GNU source which are available
at every GNU mirror.

After you have installed this environment you should be able
to do this:

 $ scripts/autogen.sh --build-w32
 $ make
 $ mingw32 strip g10/gpg
 $ cp g10/gpg  /some_windows_drive/gpg.exe

> With the resulting gpg.exe, the following still does not
> output anything to the file "foo" under Windows 2000:
>
>     gpg --decrypt --status-fd 3 3>foo < /dev/null

Are you sure that you can give a filedescriptor to the redirection
operator under Windows 2000?   I know that 2>foo works under NT but
I am not sure of the others.

Because gpgme uses file descriptor heavily I am pretty sure that it
works under Windows.  If everything else fails, get the CVS version
"cvs -z3 -d ... checkout -r STABLE-BRANCH-1-0 gnupg"  or wait a few
days until I can release a 1.0.4e.

> # Add " -lcygipc" to LIBS in ./tools/Makefile and ./g10/Makefile so
> # that shmat() is linked in.

Not a good idea.  You don't need shared memory under Windows.
Better don't use cygwin32.

Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur
et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est.
                                      -- Augustinus