--list-packets question

Rich Wales richw at webcom.com
Mon Jul 23 05:13:01 CEST 2001

David Shaw wrote:

    > Using --list-packets (version 1.0.6) on an encrypted message
    > prompts for a passphrase (if the message is encrypted to
    > yourself), or fails (if the message is encrypted to someone
    > else).  Shouldn't it just list the message packets?

No, because the details of the message packet are hidden until/unless
the packet can be decrypted.  This is an intentional design feature.

Note, for example, that if a message is signed and encrypted, the
signature is done first (on the original cleartext message), and then
the signed message is encrypted.  Thus, only an intended recipient
of the message can verify the signature (or even see that the message
has a signature).  There's no way for "--list-packets" to defeat this.

Rich Wales       richw at webcom.com       http://www.webcom.com/richw/pgp/
GnuPG: ID 0xD5B31B96, print 192B7D91 3050E92B 3FC0FAB1 8C01D8CA D5B31B96
*NOTE:  I currently use GnuPG for experimental purposes only.  Please
 use one of my PGP 2.6 RSA keys (on my web page) for anything sensitive.