Photo ID patch

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sun Jul 29 16:09:02 CEST 2001

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 05:26:15AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 02:12:50PM -0700, tftp wrote:
> > Most (all?) of Linux distributions don't come with xv. This is
> > a troublesome default. It would be not unreasonable to default
> > to ee, since GNOME is installed often, on BSD too.
>
> use "display" (imagemagick) instead, this is the default from a lot of
> packages.

Is ImageMagick sufficiently free software to be mentioned in a GNU
program?

> On the other hand, i fail to see any reasonable use for this patch. Surely
> it is good to allow gpg command line to be able to set and extract photo
> ids... but displaying them on key list operations is silly, isnt it?

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean about "gpg command line"
and "key list operations".  Surely, key list operations are via the
gpg command line?

The patch lets the user display photos from the --edit menu where
there is a high degree of control over which photo to display.  The
patch also allows the user to display photos in key list operations
(i.e. "gpg --list-keys my_key" will display the photo for my_key).

I'd say it's up to the user to decide how to use it.  Personally, I
don't set --show-photos in the config file, for that would show every
photo when I did --list-keys, which *for me* is silly.  When I need
it, I turn it on on the command line and list-key the specific key I
care about.

I can't, and shouldn't, say what another user likes or needs.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw at jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/