BUG: GnuPG Key import fails to parse TLD email address

L. Sassaman rabbi at quickie.net
Mon Mar 5 09:26:05 CET 2001

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Taral wrote:

> Actually, the problem is that the email address should be:
>
> blah at ai.
>
> Note the dot at the end. This indicates that "ai" is in fact a fully
> qualified domain name (FQDN).

Just like your email addres should be taral at taral.net. ? The dot is not
necessary; it is implied.

FWIW, Sean, I've never had trouble encrypting to your key in the past,
though, and I use GnuPG.

(I can see the sense of performing email address format checking when
adding addresses to a key, and requiring the use of the freeform uid
switch to ignore these checks... but GnuPG should import/encrypt to any
key regardless of what the email address looks like, and should not
require additional switches to make that happen. IMO.)

--Len "rabbi at ai"

__

L. Sassaman

Security Architect         |  "Belief is nearly the whole of the
Technology Consultant      |   Universe, whether based on truth or not."

http://sion.quickie.net    |                   --Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.