GnuPG can't handle some V3 secret keys

Stefan Bellon sbellon at sbellon.de
Fri May 4 22:47:01 CEST 2001

In article <20010504184938.N18016 at alberti.gnupg.de>,
   Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 May 2001, Florian Weimer wrote:

> > This is only true for write operations, BTW.  Some vendors use a
> > readable zero page for optimizations...

> I'd call those systems broken.

Well ...

> setting a pointer to NULL after it is not anymore used is a common
> and good practice.

I'd agree so far, but I don't see why this should free you from testing
the pointer against NULL when using it.

> This gives you an assertion test nearly for free.

I'm not sure whether I got this right. You favour writing code without
tests for NULL as the OS should react accordingly? Or did I
misunderstand you?

What's wrong with ...

        if (foo && foo->bar) do_things;

... and similar constructs instead of

        if (foo->bar) do_things;

This isn't much more expensive and is well defined and portable.

Greetings,

Stefan.

--
 Stefan Bellon * <mailto:sbellon at sbellon.de> * <http://www.sbellon.de/>
 PGP 2.6 and GnuPG (OpenPGP) keys available from my home page