Key splitting feature?

Florian Weimer Florian.Weimer at RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
Fri Sep 7 22:55:01 CEST 2001

Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:

> > If not, how difficult would it be to do, and where can I find the specs
> > of how it is usually done?
>
> There are a couple of algorithms to do that.  OpenPGP does not specify
> this and therefore we can't implement it.  The way NAI's PGP does it
> has the drawback that both secret key parts must be used by the same
> application which is not the best solution (both key owners must have
> mutual trust).

And currently, all schemes seem to have the drawback that the merging
cannot be undone (modulo the use of a trusted third party, AFAIK).

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimer at RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/