LDAP keyserver patch

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Sep 10 15:05:01 CEST 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 07:58:18AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> writes:
>
> > Included in the patch is a helper application for LDAP and another one
> > for email keyservers.  You need OpenLDAP installed to enable LDAP
> > support.
>
> Note that the OpenLDAP license is in a constant flux.  The most recent
> version (2.7) seems to be GPL-compatible (so that you can distribute
> binaries), but some of the previous ones were definitely not.
>
> I don't know if the current GPL compatibility is a mere accident, or
> if it is by design.

The FSF web page says the OpenLDAP licence is not GPL-compatible.
Hence the comment in the code, as described on the FSF web page:

/* As a special exception, you have permission to link this program
   with the OpenLDAP library and distribute executables, as long as
   you follow the requirements of the GNU GPL in regard to all of the
   software in the executable aside from the OpenLDAP library. */

The question whether this is sufficient for a GNU program (as opposed
to any random program under the GPL) remains to be seen.  Werner and I
have discussed it, and he was going to discuss it with the FSF.

The generic keyserver code itself has no problems, so in a worst case
scenario I suppose I could distribute just the LDAP keyserver helper
as a seperate item, like the IDEA plugin is.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw at jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/